Orthodontics: It's Not Only About Straightening Teeth
Posted by ENHANCEDENTALD on Mar 12 2021, 06:20 AM
Orthodontic treatment is essential for the long-term health of the teeth and also for the overall well-being. Orthodontics is not just about straightening teeth; but it’s much more. You should take your child for the first orthodontic visit by the age of 6, even when they still have their baby teeth. The orthodontist can evaluate and identify any future orthodontic problems at an early stage and determine the right treatment.
Certain orthodontic problems could be as follows:
- If your child has a habit of thumb-sucking, the orthodontist can help discontinue this by prescribing an appliance.
- If you or your child have a habit of teeth grinding or clenching, then it can progress to jaw pain. This might end up developing to TMD (Temporomandibular joint dysfunction). The dentist will recommend a nightguard to prevent the teeth from touching each other and thus, help reduce the jaw pain.
- Teeth misalignment occurs when both upper and lower arches of your teeth are not aligned. An overbite is when the upper teeth appear protruding, while an underbite is when the lower teeth or jaw appear protruding. Both of these issues require orthodontic treatment.
- Having crowded teeth is a condition that in which teeth are not aligned properly in the mouth due to overlapping, or the teeth may not have enough room in the mouth to come out completely. Crowded teeth can make it hard to brush and floss, and thus creating a challenge to maintain oral hygiene. This might increase the chances of developing future cavities and expensive, time-consuming filings.
- If you are not happy or embarrassed with your smile, then it can affect their confidence level. This might affect your personality and future as a whole.
- Misaligned teeth might wear down or break over time. If you fix this oral issue at an early stage, then you can avoid having more complicated and expensive dental procedures.
- Due to misaligned teeth, you may face difficulty while eating or experience pain while biting into some foods. Fixing your bite issue can help you have better self-esteem and a higher confidence level.
Getting the right treatment at the right time does not just grant you a great smile but also offers an improved appearance your whole self.
To know more, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Alvarez by calling us at 210-396-7667 or reaching us through an online query, and we’ll be happy to guide you further.